

**MINUTES OF THE MEETING
OF THE FACULTY SENATE
JUNE 10, 2020**

PRESENT: J. Ausherman, W. Bowen, A. Dixit, D. Dyer, B. Ekelman, D. Forte,
V. C. Gallagher, J. Gatica, J. Goodell, C. Hansman, Y. Hung, J. Kalafatis, S. Koc,
R. Krebs, A. Kumar, M. Kwiatkowski, J. Marino, G. Pettey, T. Porter,
A. Severson, A. Slifkin, A. F. Smith, J. Visocky-O'Grady, R. Anglin, J. Holcomb,
H. Sands, S. Zachariah, J. Zhu, T. Guzman, C. Heyward.

OTHERS

PRESENT: M. Boboc, J. Bolt, R. Carnell, B. Hoffman, S. Kaufman, D. Layman, L. Zsi6n

society and the recent acts of violence against black people demonstrate once again that racism and injustice persists throughout our country. People who look like me have the privilege of being able to wander pretty much anywhere or drive down the road without fearing that my skin color is going to make me a target. But not all members of our society or our CSU community enjoy that privilege. So, especially to our Black students and faculty and staff and alumni and also to all people of color in and around our CSU community, please know that we stand with you in demanding that the injustices stop. In this spirit, some of the recent conversations that have gone on at the Academic Steering Committee and elsewhere have suggested that some senators would like to pursue an official CSU Faculty Senate Statement about the deep disparities in our society or the unrest, or the police brutality. If you are one of those people, within the next two days, please contact Violet Lunder. If you are somebody that is willing to lead that effort, please write to me and let me know over the next little while if there is interest in this. It is certainly within the purview of the Faculty Senate to make a statement if we so desire. The Senate Office will help in orchestrating the process of getting the statement formally endorsed by the Senate if possible.

Dr. Bowen noted that everyone on the Senate should have received a copy of the Budget and Finance Committee's report on academic partnerships. At our May 6 meeting when discussing the AP, Provost Jianping Zhu told us that faculty input is the administration's top priority and that the program faculties of the five programs that were considered will be regularly updated. Any related curricular changes, admissions standards, instructional authority and class schedules will be controlled by the departmental faculty. That is where we are to my reading of the Senate Budget and Finance Committee report. It seems to have fairly comprehensively described the various concerns that have been raised around campus. There is quite a bit in there from the faculty members within the pertinent program

George Floyd – no excuse for the police brutality and a video of a public lynching to get us talking and thinking about structural racial inequities. My commitment to you is that we, as an institute of higher education, have an important role to play in what actions we are going to take. I have already had a discussion with our police chief. We are working on a review of their policies and their approach as a start. This is one example of an opportunity for us, as a community, to work together and make meaningful change. I look forward to hearing specifics from each of you.

Repopulation plan for campus. The words that we use are important because we never closed. We are open for business. People find that hard to believe. We have taught classes in the spring; we are teaching classes in summer. How we repopulate our campus is going to depend largely on how high a confidence level we can get to keeping everybody safe. We have survey information that John Holcomb will go through and we will use that to select our pathway forward here in the next seven to ten days. We are working on six components when it comes to repopulating our campus. This will involve everything from our footprint in our residence halls, to the number of classes we have, to what kind of classes there will be, and how many folks we

and get tested. We will have a quick turnaround on these tests and we will have a system to contact trace students that are living on campus. If they test positive, we will have space in the residence halls to quarantine students.

6) The last piece I mentioned briefly was quarantine and how we quarantine. Sick staff or

One of the issues that we have been talking about amongst the university presidents is the incredible cost of having a testing protocol and this is even aside from the costs of modifying our campus and extra cleaning, etc. We are working with the President of the IUC and the state Chancellor on a testing protocol. We've certainly raised the issue of cost and, if we can come up with a testing protocol and get it somewhat standardized across the campus, I think we have a fighting chance of getting the state to provide some funding for it – from \$100 to \$200. The tests that we think we are going to have to administer could get pretty pricey, pretty quickly.

V. Budget and Finance Committee

Report on AP Partnerships (Report No. 112, 2019-2020)

Professor Tatyana Guzman, Chair of the Budget and Finance Committee, stated that she hopes everyone saw the report the committee completed and sent to the President and the Provost. She noted that she doesn't have much to add to what was already discussed here. She noted that she made a quick summary of that report a couple of weeks ago at the Senate meeting. There are feedbacks from both programs and from the Center for E-Learning. If anyone has any further suggestions, please send them to the committee and we will be happy to address them.

Beth Ekelman: The report is really comprehensive. Is the committee planning on making any kind of recommendation or motion at some point in time about this agreement?

Tatyana Guzman: At this point, we are waiting for any further developments on that contract with AP. If there are any further developments, yes, we are planning to do more in depth analysis. We are planning to run numbers, maybe a benefit cost analysis and provide recommendations.

VI. Report of the Provost and Chief Academic Officer

Provost Jianping Zhu noted that he wanted to follow up on a statement about racial inequities and inclusion in particular, related to our faculty. I want to reaffirm our commitment to inequity and inclusion. We cherish our faculty from a very diverse national and cultural background. We understand that many of our faculty are concerned about what is going on, both locally and nationally, especially this ongoing pandemic - a factor some have pointed out, disproportionately to certain populations more than others. We really want to emphasize our commitment to inequity and our commitment to supporting our faculty to develop an inclusive and supportive environment so everyone can be successful. We really need to look at what we have been doing and the plans that we have been developing. This is the time to really look at the concrete actions that we should take to make a substantial change. As President Sands mentioned earlier, to really move the needle, for example, in our faculty hiring practices, in terms of our faculty mentoring and faculty support. To make sure our faculty is successful and in particular, for faculty who need additional support. We have been discussing integrating engagement and inclusion considerations into our tenure and promotion process.

Provost Zhu also mentioned the following:

Student and performance gap. Institutional Research providing the information about the gap between students and groups from certain backgrounds; standardized test scores; social economic status comparable to the majority of the student population.
Teaching expertise in police reform in social justice.

Campus-wide effort to move forward in specific areas: faculty hiring, retention, JUNE 10, 2020hfacu

MINUTES OF THE MEETING
OF THE FACULTY SENATE
JUNE 10, 2020

We are working on the classrooms, lab space, and studios to respect the six feet of social distancing. We will have plenty of signa

and we also have some really active student groups who use it. So even when people are meeting remotely, I think we'll have a blend of that this fall. It is important to preserve that time. It is also difficult to change schedules. At this point, I'm voting for keeping the common hour.

Question: Can you ask about getting books from the library in Ohio Link or some sort of curbside pickup? Scientists are back in their labs and humanities faculty need library resources in the same way. If you can go eat at a patio or go shopping at Crocker Park, it seems strange that you can't get books, at least on pickup from the library. The way we are talking about locking people down on campus or out of their offices is very much in conflict with what's happening around us in the city and other places. I applaud all the caution, but I think that faculty having access to offices and access to the library in some fashion would be beneficial.

John Holcomb: I can work with David Lodwick, head of the library, to come up with a plan and then run it by the PRT (Planning Response Team) to get that activated.

Vickie Coleman Gallagher: Wondering if we could see the actual campus reopening document or if you can provide some sort of communication plan that you will be able to share.

Provost Jianping Zhu: I clearly understand the need to have something concrete that you can read and refer to. The timeline is tentative, and sharing may create the impression of a plan. It is a working draft and it is not really a final plan.

Michael Kalafatis: Questioned the antigen testing and the purpose of testing. I don't know if you can't do a great service to the university to do the testing for antibodies in everybody's plasma or you are just testing to see if a person has a disease. To make it good for the university, the testing can be free. The university can take some of the fed's money for free testing of people.

John Holcomb: I will bring your concerns to the PRT leader.

Ashutosh Dixit: John, thank you very much for all the measures and thanks to President Sands on the progress. I'm very clear in my mind that the number one priority as we open the University is to ensure the safety of the faculty, staff and students. I think we need to have a very focused approach on the safety and the security of the faculty and staff. In Korea they have contact tracing apps. Could those be provided to all faculty, staff and student

assuming the state is giving some guidelines to state universities or are we just responsible to create our own protocols?

John Holcomb: My understanding is that Forest Faison is leading a statewide effort at the IUC level about the different issues for repopulating the different campuses. As far as boot camps, let you and I talk offline about that. There is a precedent for doing something like that. I think I can provide you with guidance on how we can move forward on that. Regarding the boot camp, let you and I talk offline about that. There is a precedent for doing something like that. I think I can provide you with a guidance on how we can move forward on that.

Aaron Severson: Beth and Vickie already asked some of what I wanted to ask. The table dashboard that you showed would be very useful if that can be made available for faculty to look at the different options to see how it changed the numbers of the different tiers.

John Holcomb: I should be able to provide you the link but let me talk with Tom Geaghan about that.

Aaron Severson: You mentioned that face shields might be supplied for faculty and I wanted to make sure that that would also include part-time instructors.

John Holcomb: Yes. I believe that we have enough for however many instructors we have on campus for fall, but we will keep track of that. If more are needed, we will order more.

David Forte: Similar to science, the Law School has a program to help students move into law study who may need some preliminary assistance. I will have our Associate Dean give you the numbers and the profile of that program that may need to be an onsite program. Second, the Law Library has a lot of air space which is safety and a lot of mechanisms for social distancing and isolating from one another. I would like to see if we could do something specific about opening the Law Library to attendance by students and faculty with social distancing.

The third subject I brought up with President Sands a couple of weeks ago is building health. To what extent, besides surface cleaning, are the circulating systems in the buildings being handled – are they being flushed? Will they be cleaned out? Do you have any information on that?

John Holcomb: I can say that the President heard you. He made it very clear to facilities that we need to do something along those lines to make sure that the circulating air is cleaned appropriately. The fast facilities team is working on that issue.

Albert “Fred” Smith: Two questions. One of them is for classes that meet remotely in the fall. In spring, when we went to remote instruction it was sort of up to each faculty member whether classes would meet synchronously or asynchronously. Are there any rules or guidance for the fall concerning that?

John Holcomb: We are leaving that to the instructors as well in the fall. We are working on collecting data from students to learn if they have a preference along those lines but that data would be used just to help inform faculty – it would not be a mandate.

Albert "Fred" Smith: Second question. In my department there are at least some other programs that we have partnership arrangements with Lorain County Community College and Lakeland Community College where we offer courses on site at those locations. Have we communicated with LCCC and Lakeland about what our thinking is about those courses and what they are thinking about their campuses?

John Holcomb: We have not had too much communication on that front. I am well aware of those partnership programs and we do need to follow up and make sure that we are on the same page about those things. Good point.

Michele Kwiatkowski: Question from one of my School of Nursing faculty colleagues. Is there an option to end the fall semester at ThanksgiJ-15.25 -sr10s

John Holcomb: Space on campus for face to face exams, even if the class is being offered remotely, is a big concern. I have formed a test subgroup to look at testing options in a face to face manner on campus. That subcommittee submitted a report to me and we are going over it now to see how viable it is. First, we have to figure out if we have space for the classes and then we have to see if there is leftover space that could be used for this testing option and then how would we staff it or schedule it. Those are the challenges involved. Some have been asking about other tools beyond Lock Down Browser for monitoring online testing. We are looking at different approaches to see if we can find a product that we can afford that will do a better job with that. We all care about academic integrity

Linda Quinn: Following up on Fred's question about the difference in asynchronous and synchronous, when we go to campus, will it state which way the course is going to get taught so that the students are not misled in terms of the expectation to be synchronous?

John Holcomb: We will have to figure out what we can do easily and quickly in labeling things on campus but obviously we will want to label face to face. If the course is going to have a regular meeting pattern, we need to have that in Campus Net so that would be the synchronous that you were referring to. Yes, our plan would be to do like we did this summer and do that again in the fall so that students know what to expect.

Orhan Talu: Is there any help available from CSU for the students? We are all assuming that the students who will be able to follow the classes online have dependable internet. In our case in engineering, they need real powerful computers to do their job online. Is there any help and guidance on how to help the students to be able to follow the programs?

John Holcomb: In spring we tried to provide resources to students. We mailed University laptops to students that needed them and we mailed hotspots to them. The plan is to do something similar on an ad hoc basis for students who do need those technological resources in order to complete the coursework.

Orhan Talu: Faculty needs information about that again and again because we are assuming students will be able to and if it turns out that they cannot really follow the classes, then we will be in trouble.

Michael Dover: Up until now, all of our classes are labeled either web, blend or face to face. A number of other universities are using hybrid as an option and leaving more leeway to faculty and chairs and committees to deliver the courses in a way that would be most optimal. I am concerned that there are a lot of students who really want face to face and would not want to move just to remote. I am proposing we have hybrid and empower faculty to try to work this out best. I know the Registrar's Office looked into this and I am wondering if you have given some thought to this.

John Holcomb: Yes, we have thought about this. I think we are going to need some kind of designation like that on campus. We have already talked to some of the science people about their labs having half the class come one week and half the class come the next week. That would be something that we could probably label appropriately the way you just described. I

think we may come up with more designations and I will work with the Registrar's Office to get the label appropriate.

Thank you all for the kind words and support. I also want to give credit to the Registrar's

Vickie Coleman Gallagher: I would be happy to

one hour 15 minutes and that is enough time if there is a virus that could be transmitted. How will these 35 students with a seating capacity of 35 practice social distancing?

John Holcomb: That depends on what footprint we go forward with. We will be looking at our classroom capacity. If the class is not on our list of needing to be face-to-face or preferred to be face-to-face, that class will probably be remote. If a class is on our preferred or mandatory face-to-face, then we have to find a room that will accommodate that many students or we will have to move to some kind of hybrid model where some subset of students come at different times. Those are the different options that we will be working out on a case by case basis with the chair of the department and the instructor of the course to figure out what is the best way pedagogically for this class to be offered to help enhance student learning. We are not going to put 35 people in a room that normally fits 35 people. We are looking at taking over some of the large spaces that Conference Services usually uses, and we may have classes in places like the Student Center Ballroom or the third floor Fenn Tower Ballroom or the fourth floor of Wolstein.

Sanda Kaufman: Back to what Professor Carnell said about putting something in the syllabus. Develop a language that we could all use so that students recognize the University language about wearing masks. If the course is online, they need to actually be present and show their face in class which has been a problem for some of us. People can leave the room and just have their name there but they are not really present. So, if we could develop little paragraphs that address these issues, we could all include them in the syllabus and it would have more power.

Vickie Coleman Gallagher: The next Senate meeting is scheduled for July 15. Please share with your colleagues.

Bill Bowen: Hope everybody stay safe.

IX. New Business

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 4:49 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,

Vickie Coleman Gallagher
Faculty Senate Secretary

VCG:vel